The Intent - investigate the idea of communicating something about the nature of someone by caricature.
Content- test character for the experiment (Nigel Farge)
-knowing something about the subject so a better understanding of personality can be illustrated.
Communication Objectives- highlight a trait of a person
-in Nigel Farage's case the fact that he is power/ ego driven, he's sneaky and is all talk.
Reference- other artists work such as Steve Bell and Gillray
Both caricaturists have included recognisable traits and features of the characters portrayed. Emphasising elements we can pick up as very characteristic of the individuals. This is what I am aiming to do with the process I am using.
I used Nigel Farage as a reference point when it came to investigating the idea of communicating something about the nature of someone by caricature. I tried to single out features that stood out to emphasise a certain trait of the subject matter. I made a clay head replication whilst trying to emphasise the mouth of Nigel Farage. I tried to get the point across that he is all talk when it comes to his personality. I exaggerated this further by drawing the clay face and obscuring it more.
The end result of my piece ended up being more of an anthropomorphised piece which I think in the end works quite well. The emphasised features, mainly the mouth, infer he is a big talker or in terms of the anthropomorphism, an ape in a suit talking rubbish. It was through this development of manipulating the face and character that I could achieve this result.
In terms of my own practice the concept of developing a character this way is something I can apply to other things too. I am not particularly interested in the aspect of character design. However, I do enjoy personifying buildings so I could apply this way of working to this. Initial sketches of a building and then researching the place and gaining more knowledge on the buildings use and the kinds of people who go there. I could then begin to illustrate the building better because I have this extra information and focus on parts that I want people to pick out. I think this will allow for a more successful development process as I will be more familiar with what I am drawing which will hopefully come across in the final piece.
In terms of my own practice the concept of developing a character this way is something I can apply to other things too. I am not particularly interested in the aspect of character design. However, I do enjoy personifying buildings so I could apply this way of working to this. Initial sketches of a building and then researching the place and gaining more knowledge on the buildings use and the kinds of people who go there. I could then begin to illustrate the building better because I have this extra information and focus on parts that I want people to pick out. I think this will allow for a more successful development process as I will be more familiar with what I am drawing which will hopefully come across in the final piece.






No comments:
Post a Comment